Published On: Sat, Jan 19th, 2013

Pandemonium in Ijaw Community as PHCN Cable Electrocutes South-African Amnesty Trainee

Share This
Tags

Ebiotu Waterowei on sick bed

Palpable fear and apprehension gripped the air at Ayama quarters in Bomadi, headquarters of Bomadi local government area when a man, 32 fiddling with a life low tension bare conductor was electrocuted, our correspondent can exclusively report.
The disturbances on the bare conductor caused a heavy spark of fire, which made residents in the area scampered for safety.
The victim, Ebiotu Waterowei an indigene of Bomadi was in a state of comma when he was rushed to a nearby hospital after landing on the ground from the electric pole where he was allegedly connecting the low tension conductor.

The incident took place at about 8:30am. An eye witness said the victim took the decision to fiddle with the PHCN installation at the step-down point of the transformer when there was poor load shedding the previous night.
The eye witness further explained that, Waterowei had gone to the top of the pole using a ladder when suddenly there was a breach of two naked wires with the one he was carrying.
This resulted in a heavy spark of fire, that caused pandemonium and Waterowei, according to the eye witness fell from the pole after being electrocuted. “We thought he was dead. We rushed him to the clinic for urgent medical attention”, he stated.
At the hospital where he is currently receiving treatment, the father of 5 who responded to newsmen described it as “accident” and a “professional hazard”. Mr. Waterowei maintained that he was trained as an electrician at South Africa through the federal government amnesty programme. According to him, “being a trained electrician, I was worried by the poor light situation in the area. I decided I could do something about it to improve the situation, but I found myself in the hospital. I can only remember when I was at the top of the electric pole. It was terrible, but I thank God, I am recovering from the shock,” he lamented.
Investigation shows that the people at Ayama quarter where the incident occurred never enjoyed electricity even when there is light in other parts of the town due to poor load sharing.
An official of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN who does not want his name in print revealed that the transformer by the Olou Primary School, which carries the entire Ayama quarters, is overloaded.
A situation that throws the whole of Ayama quarters into darkness while others enjoy light. The Niger Delta Development Commission NDDC recently installed transformers at Ayama quarters and other parts of the town. However, they have not been put into use.

About the Author

-

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Konga Verified Blogger

Konga Verified Blogger

IN THE NEWS

Close